Tuesday 5 June 2012

29 May – Thoughts on Iran

I entered Iran on 14 May and visited :

Tabriz
Babak Castle
Masuleh
Esfahan
Persepolis
Yazd

Leaving on 29 May.

In all places I was welcomed and did not feel any threat at all. People would come up to me and want to talk and provided it was not about politics and religion I was happy to talk to them. I had been told that the women would be reluctant to talk but often it was they, students usually, who would ask ‘Where are you from’ as an opening to practice their English. There were not many people dressed in black as I was lead to believe and it was good to see what appeared to be a reasonably free society.

Esfahan was a fantastic place for seeing the crafts of Iran, from carpets to metalwork, needlework to buildings. Persepolis was interesting for the quality of the carvings mainly because they had been buried and by being so had been well preserved. Yazd was interesting for me because of seeing the Water Museum and understanding what was done many years ago with so little equipment and the accuracy of the work in the aquifers with such simple tools. It certainly helped that there was a guide, Muhammed, all the time in Iran especially as he was knowledgeable in the history of the places visited.

The one thing I did not like about Iran was the motor cyclists. They were a crazy breed and I did not understand why they should be allowed to ride on the pavements with no care taken at all. They were really dangerous! They and the motorist would not stop for anyone, on pedestrian crossings when the light was against them, or even for each other. There was absolutely no patience by any driver that I saw on the road. Everyone on the road was in a hurry.

I did enjoy Iran and given the chance I would go back again. If anyone wants to go then do so, and enjoy yourselves there.

No comments:

Post a Comment