Thursday 9 August 2012

2 August – Reflections

Did I pay for an overlanding trip or a backpacking trip? Not having use of the truck I am now expected to be like a pack horse (not quite as I bought a trolley to for the backpack), travel by the cheapest means possible and live in accommodation that is sometimes substandard. It’s a ‘budget’ trip I am told by the managers, who, by the way, are driver and leader on the truck which left the UK on 17 June. I guess, now that they have my money could not care less as to how I/we travel. Maximise our profits will be their shout. What about using the considerable amount of money given to them for the benefit of the client not for the benefit of their bank account. They appear not to have considered client goodwill and what I am likely to reply at the end of the trip when asked if I would recommend others follow in my footsteps.

From general reading it seems that the numbers of people who will go overlanding is reducing as there is less money around to pay for trips and people cannot take the time off work for fear of losing their jobs. Goodwill and word of mouth keep a business in the black, maybe Madventure should take notice of this and treat their clients decently.

While in India we received a questionnaire from Madventure which had a number of references to ‘professional’ behaviour. I am a Chartered Engineer and have a Code of Ethics and Professional Standards to maintain. I doubt that Madventure has any Code of Ethics or Standards so perhaps they should start looking at their professionalism, which is non existent at the moment as far as I can see.

Their website has, quote ‘’we take pride in offering a personal service to each and every person undertaking an adventure with us’’. Ha bloody Ha!

I do wish that there was a website where anyone could leave any kind of comment, good or bad or whatever, about any overlanding trip with any overlanding company. Anyone prepared to set up such a website? It would be good to be able to compare what is put on a company's website with those comments that others might have to make. 
.

1 comment:

  1. trip Advisor or Lonely Planet are good at the moment (but you do need to create an account to post anything)

    I have done both

    I doubt that Madventure will respond to any adverse comments or even try to defend any feed back, they dont reply to the feedback form they sent out, they are not the only company out there, there are better companies, I wouldnt recommend them to anyone

    They are a low budget company and you give them money at your peril, they are the only company that uses local payments rather than a kitty, their expenditure for local payments is not availible for their clients to see, their accounts are availible at company house, they are running at a loss, they have assets that dont cover their loans

    ReplyDelete