Wednesday 29 August 2012

17 August - Myson Village near Hoi An (Vietnam)

Mỹ Son is a cluster of abandoned and partially ruined Hindu temples constructed between the 4th and the 14th century AD by the kings of Champa.  The temples are dedicated to the worship of the god Shiva and the building of which is said to have been influenced by Arabian, Malaysian, Indonesian and Indian culture with Indian being the predominant one. The temples are in a valley roughly two kilometres wide that is surrounded by two mountain ranges.


Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (12)Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (16)Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (10)Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (1)Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (3)Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (8)













































From the 4th to the 14th century AD the valley at Mỹ Sơn was a site of religious ceremonies for kings of the ruling dynasties of Champa, as well as a burial place for Cham royalty and national heroes. At one time the site encompassed over 70 temples as well as numerous stele bearing historically important inscriptions in Sanskrit and Cham. Mỹ Sơn is perhaps the longest inhabited archaeological site in Indochina. Sadly a large majority of its architecture was destroyed by US bombing during a single week of the Vietnam War. The bombing was carried out because the site was easily defended and the Vietnamese used it as a base. The Mỹ Sơn temple complex is regarded one of the foremost Hindu temple complexes in South-East Asia and is the foremost heritage site of this nature in Vietnam.
      Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (13)



Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (6)

Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (11)

Vietnam, Hoi An, My Son Temple Site, 1 August 2012 (2)



















Nha Trang, day 3 017
Seen on the way to the village-to market, to market to buy a fat pig!




1 comment:

  1. Tasmania chocolate factory I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete