Friday 4 May 2012

2 May - At Oludeniz (Turkey)

A quieter night but one rooster was left to wake everyone up well before dawn. Just as we had finished our meal last night one of the camping site staff went past mumbling that the roosters had been keeping him awake during the night, then there was a ‘bang bang!’ and he walked passed with what I took to be two roosters hanging in his hand and asked if we wanted a chicken to cook. I think people were too shocked to answer him as there were no takers!

At 1000 hours we went to the beach to have a trip round the bay. The boat left at 1100 hours, Turkish time! After the first hour or so it was not really worth it as the trip just repeated itself. We would go to a cove, it was too cold to swim for any length of time, not me though, and then move to another cove. One actually had warmer water being affected by some warm spring but it made very little difference to those in the water. Lunch was terrible as well, certainly not as shown in the brochure. Maybe it would be better in the real tourist season but somehow I doubt that it would be so. Altogether a place to keep away from!

P1010495
Butterfly Cove

P1010484
The local bar in Butterfly Cove


One cove had been taken over by a co-operative to keep it more like its' natural self. It must have been the last refuge of the hippies judging by the pretty tractor! Behind the cove was a waterfall, which I would not pay to see. There is too much of the asking on money here just to see things with no real value. Quite a few of the group are no longer paying for things as I think they are getting short of money. The co-operative had built huts, cafes and food places with camping allowed. They also had security company staff there and when I questioned them why they were necessary they said that it was due to problems with drink. It just looks that the pursuit of money had gone too far! The only local people left on the site were the old people.
  P1010471

P1010472

I could not find out the make of tractor as certain people are likely to ask!
Apart from the normal refreshments fresh pancakes were provided by a lady sitting near the beach. It is not often that one can obtain a photograph of a ladies face here but this lady was happy to let me take her photograph, which I actually like.

P1010481
The lady making pancakes
P1010482

At the evening meal, cooked by us at the campsite, it was agreed that, as the following day was to be my 70th birthday, a fancy dress party would be held in the next place with the theme being ‘D’ for David. I picked up the cake I ordered but was not able to see it as the box was sealed and I did not want to open it as it had to be secure for travelling tomorrow.
P1010503
A boat passing an island in the bay

No comments:

Post a Comment